RYAN NELSON - Staff Profile
Mr. Nelson is proud to be a member of West Salem High School. He began his journey at WSHS at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. Overall, the 2018-2019 school year marks his ninth as a teacher.
- Master of Arts in Education - Viterbo University, 2017
- Thesis: “SCHOOL ISN'T ABOUT LEARNING; IT'S ABOUT GETTING GOOD GRADES.": THE EFFECTS OF INCENTIVES ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT, INTRINSIC MOTIVATION, AND BEHAVIOR
- Post-Baccalaureate English Teaching Licensure (6-12) - Viterbo University, 2013
- Bachelor of Science in Broad Field Social Studies Education (6-12); Spanish Minor - Viterbo University, 2010
- Senior Project: Norwegian Immigration to the Midwest, a Personal Historical Perspective
- Herb Kohl Teacher Fellow / Wisconsin Teacher of the Year Finalist - 2018
- Ashley for the Arts Humanitarian Award Recipient - 2017
- WSHS Commencement Speaker - 2015
Classes Taught (2018-2019)
- Senior Social Studies (1st and 2nd semester)
- Modern U.S. History (1st semester)
- World Cultures I (2nd semester)
Mr. Nelson believes in building positive relationships with every student and in fostering transparent, honest communication between all parties. He believes that positive relationships and strong communication help every student achieve success in and out of the classroom. Mr. Nelson believes that teaching is a lifestyle, not a job, and he truly loves what he does.
Aside from teaching, Mr. Nelson enjoys camping, playing and watching sports, and landscaping. An animal lover, he has one dog, Lucy, and one cat, Yogi.
Please feel free to contact Mr. Nelson or stop by his room at anytime. His door is always open.